DIE-Forum Continuing Education 2020 & dialog digitalization#04
Together with dialog digitalisierung (German only), we discussed the topic of quality and professionalism in digital adult education.
In exchange with actors from science and practice of adult education, we talked about how previous concepts of quality and professionalism are challenged by the use of digital educational technologies.
All those who are active in adult and continuing education or develop educational technologies were invited: leaders, planners and teachers from the field, professionals from the digital economy, scientists and interested parties from politics.
This event is part of the series "dialog digitalisierung (German only)" and is an event of the Metavohabens Digitalisierung in der empirischen Bildungsforschung (Digi-EBF (German only)(Meta-project Digitalisation in the empirical educational research).
Conference report on the DIE Forum in the"weiter bilden. DIE magazine for adult education". The print edition is available from wbv Media: www.wbv.de/artikel/WBDIE2101
We have brought together "traditional" adult educators with e-learning providers and start-ups in the digitization scene – two worlds that have hardly taken note of each other so far; two worlds in which the concepts of "quality" and "professionalism" are defined very differently. Topics included virtual 3D spaces, augmented reality, Youtube or serious games.
However, the focus was not on the technical solutions, but on the questions of what professionalism their commitment requires and what consequences this has for professional action in adult education. We focused on four sub-fields of education: vocational/in-company continuing education and general, political and cultural adult education.
This year, the DIE Forum 2020 merged with the format "dialog digitalisierung (German only)", a regular discussion format between science and practice in adult education: a forum for the discussion of current problems and strategies for digitization against the background of findings of empirical educational research. "dialog digitalisation" is part of the meta-project "Digitalisation in the Education Sector", which is funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF).
PRIZE FOR INNOVATION IN ADULT EDUCATION
As part of the forum, we awarded this year's "Prize for Innovation in Adult Education" to three outstanding projects that show how it is possible to make teachers in adult and continuing education digitally fit.
From the very beginning, the "Prize for Innovation in Adult Education" has been supported by the DIE's long-standing publishing partner, wbv Media in Bielefeld.
Speaker & Contributors
Prof. Dr. Sandra Aßmann
University Professor for Social Spaces and Realms of non-formal and informal learning
Ruhr University Bochum
Photo: © Jann Wilken
Christoph Auf der Landwehr
Projektmanager MIA, IBM Watson
Dr. Marie Batzel
Director, Volkshochschule Neuss
Prof. Dr. Hans-Ulrich Baumgarten
Groupleader Further Education
Ministry of Culture and Science of North-Rhein Westfalia
Deputy Head, Palais Populaire
W. Arndt Bertelsmann
Acting Partner, wbv Media
Gesellschaft für Medien in der Wissenschaft e.V. (Society for Media in Science)
Manager Oncampus GmbH
Prof. Dr. Ulf-Daniel Ehlers
Professor of Educational Management and Lifelong Learning, Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University, Karlsruhe
Dr. Christiane Ehses
Hessian Adult Education Association
Dr. Dominik Förschler
Managing Director Audit Research Center, ARC-Institute
President Umbrella organisation of continuing education organisations (DVWO)
Dr. Lutz Goertz
Head of Educational Research
Prof. Dr. Michael Kerres
Professor for Media Didactics and Knowledge Management
Research Associate RUB
Project ViRaGe - Virtual Realities as a Historical Experience
Federal Managing Director Arbeit und Leben e.V.
Projectmanager, Association Auxilium
Prof. Wolfgang Prinz
Deputy Head of Institute Fraunhofer FIT
Prof. Vanessa Reinwand-Weiss
Director Federal Academy of Cultural Education Wolfenbüttel
Adult Education Center Essen
Prof. Dr. Katharina Scheiter
Professor of Empirical Research on Teaching and Learning,
Eberhard Karls University Tübingen
Photo: © IWM Tübingen / Paavo Ruch
Prof. Dr. Bernhard Schmidt-Hertha
Professor of General Education and Educational Research
Director Landesverband der Volkshochschulen North-Rhine Westfalia
Quality Representative and Staff unit
digital education, Adult Education Center Cologne
Julia von Westerholt
Director of the Association
Deutscher Volkshochschul-Verband e.V.
Prof. Dr. Olaf Zawacki-Richter
Professor of Knowledge Transfer and Learning with New Technologies,
University of Oldenburg
Project Officer DIGIT-AL Working Group of German Educational Institutions
Mitarbeitende des DIE
Dr. Saniye Al-Baghdadi
Meta-project „Digitalization in education“
Press and Public Relations Officer
Dr. Peter Brandt
Head of Department "knowledge transfer"
Dr. Martin Merkt
Head of Junior Research Group "Teaching, Learning, Advising"
Dr. Inga Specht
Research Associate "Teaching, Learning, Advising"
Prof. Dr. Josef Schrader
PD Dr. Hannes Schröter
Deputy Head of Department "Teaching, Learning, Advising"
*Program schedule subject to change
Educational technology and pedagogical quality - Approaches to a key topic of digitization
Keynote by Prof. Dr. Bernhard Schmidt-Hertha
The keynote sorted out the different perspectives that are in the room when practitioners from the world of educational technology talk to educators about quality digital education. It was about quality concepts and the understanding of "good education" in adult and continuing education, the ideas of quality in the edtech scene and digital economy, and the question of the professionalism of educational staff.
"Educational research interviewed" with Stephan Rinke
Stephan Rinke (VHS Essen), representing educational practice, asked: How do the remarks from the keynote fit with the experiences of educational practice? Where is there a lack of "quality" and "professionalism", especially in times of the Corona pandemic?
Topic 2020: Competence for the digital transformation - learning opportunities for continuing education staff
In 2020, the DIE awarded prizes to learning and educational offerings that make teachers in adult and continuing education digitally fit and that enable educational staff to use the potential of digital media for teaching and training in an innovative way.
Winner of the Innovation Prize 2020: LOVE-Storm
Winner of the Innovation Prize 2020: Coaches for online learning
Winner of the Innovation Prize 2020: EBmooc plus
DIGITAL EDUCATION OFFERINGS FROM THE FIELD: FOUR PARALLEL TOPIC SESSIONS
Educational Technology in Practice: Learning Management Systems, Digital Certifications and Virtual Reality in Adult Education
Theme session with Dr. Christiane Ehses
This session used selected examples to discuss the current and potential future use of digital technologies in general adult and continuing education. Presented were:
- the VHS learning portal (Celia Sokolowsky (State Association of Adult Education Centers of NRW))
- the project Blockchain for Education (Dr. Wolfgang Prinz, PhD Fraunhofer FIT)
- the international cooperation project Viral Skills (Carina Posch/Auxilium)
- Queries through Dr. Sabine Schöb (Eberhard Karls University Tübingen) und Dr. Martin Merkt (DIE)
Theme session with Jörg-Friedrich Gampper
This session presented current Educational Technology solutions for vocational and corporate training, with examples of job-related online learning and game-based learning.
- Approved online content for continuing professional development: oncampus GmbH (Andreas Dörich)
- Gamification - This is how you learn today! Effective auditing expertise in the world of digital transformation: ARC Institute (Dr. Dominik Förschler)
- Commented by Prof. Dr. Ulf-Daniel Ehlers (Duale Hochschule Baden-Württemberg)
Digital Action Spaces of the Political: Online Platforms and Virtual Reality in Use for Historical-Political Adult Education
Theme session with Barbara Menke
Political education and participation processes are increasingly shifting into the digital space; this poses fundamental changes for adult political education. This session asked about the challenges and how democracy and history education works digitally:
- Digital participation with the online participation platform Adhocracy+ (Marie-Kathrin Siemer/Liquid Democracy e. V.)
- ViRaGe – Virtual Realities as Historical Experience (Prof. Dr. Sandra Aßmann und Elena Lewers/both Ruhr University Bochum)
- Commented by Nils-Eyk Zimmermann (AdB e. V.)
How cloud, chatbot & app are being used in adult cultural education
Theme session with Prof. Vanessa Reinwand-Weiss
Art education via digital tools on the one hand and the practice/learning of a cultural practice via a digital platform on the other hand marked out the field of action of this session.
- The VHS Cloud in use for cultural adult education - the learning and networking platform of the adult education centers (Amelie Wangrin/Adult Education Center Cologne)
- The Chatbot MIA („Museum Intelligent Assistent“) – Art education with artificial intelligence. (Sara Bernshausen/Palais Populaire and Christoph Auf der Landwehr/IBM Watson)
- Commented by Dr. Inga Specht (DIE)
Interactive exchange with experts from educational practice.
With the guests:
- Dr. Christiane Ehses (Deputy Director, HVV)
- Barbara Menke (Federal Executive Director, Arbeit und Leben e. V.)
- Prof. Vanessa Reinwand-Weiss (Director, Federal Academy of Cultural Education Wolfenbüttel)
- Jörg-Friedrich Gampper (President, DVWO e. V.)
Talk session with representatives from practice, politics and science, moderated by Dr. Peter Brandt
- Prof. Dr. Hans-Ulrich Baumgarten, Group Leader Continuing Education (Ministry of Culture and Science of the State of NRW)
Andreas Henkes, Head of Education and Employment Unit in the Federal Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs
- Prof. Dr. Michael Kerres (Professor of Media Didactics and Knowledge Management, University of Duisburg-Essen)
- Prof. Dr. Katharina Scheiter (Professor of Empirical Research on Teaching and Learning, Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen)
- Julia von Westerholt (Association Director German Adult Education Association)
- Claudia Bremer (Member of the Board Society for Media in Science e. V.)
Kurzlink zu dieser Seite: